Re: SElinux and speed issues

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
Hi, some time ago, maybe a year of so I saw a post some where
suggesting that disabling selinux would improve the speed of gnome
(cant recall weather it was fedora specific or not) and I did and yes
things (most notably menus and window opening and closing) were
faster...
I think this is a red herring. I can think of no reason why XWindows would run faster with SELinux disabled. SELinux only effects performance when an Access control decision is being made by the kernel. XWindows should not be going through the kernel for an access check. SELinux memory footprint has decreased in the last year, which might help on a memory constrained machine.

With the fc6 just around the corner I was wondering if this is still
the case, and perhaps more importantly is selinux worth the hassel on
a single user home desktop machine?

That is a matter of how much risk you are willing to accept. If you run any network services on your machine, SELinux could prevent an escallation on a break in to your system.
Thanks...