Re: network route

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 11:12 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> DNS name                dns.asm.bellsouth.net

I haven't noticed a "DNS name" doohicky in the network configuration.
Does it say *that* in yours?  If not, what exactly does it say?

I see a "DNS search path", that means a suffix to add onto the end of a
dotless hostname, to subsequently try.  e.g. If you tried to "ping
test" (i.e. lazy typing) when you had "example.com" in the "DNS search
path" it'll try pinging "test", or "test.example.com" if it didn't find
an IP for "test" in your hosts file.

If you're referring to entering a FQDN for your system, I wouldn't
expect it to be something with "dns" in the name (typically, something
like that's the sort of hostname you'd see someone assign to a dedicated
domain name server).

I can't quite imagine why you'd be entering a hostname for a DNS server
belonging to your ISP in your network configuration.

--
(Currently running FC4, but testing FC5, if that's important.)

I read messages from the public lists.