Installation problem

Hi,
    Iam new to linux. I tried to install Fedora 5. But Iam unable to install it in graphical mode. I tried to install it in text mode by typing 'linux text' at prompt:
   I could install it. but when i say 'startx' at prompt: Iam unable to go to the GUI mode. Iam able to see garbled screen. I tried to install using expert,lowres,nofb,noprobe mothods. But no use.

Can anyone give me any suggestion please...?

Note: Iam able to run the live CD successfully on my machine. But the problem is with the installation only.

My system configuration is...

Processor     : Intel Pentium 2.88 dual core
Mother board : Intel 102d2
RAM             : 512mb
Monitor          : 17'' LCD (LG)

-Venkat