Re: How to create a DVD image with very large files?

Patrick Doyle <wpdster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a 6.5 Gbyte tarball that I want to archive on a dual layer DVD.
Unfortunately, I don't have a dual-layer writer on my PC, however, I
do have access to another (Windows) PC that _does_ have a dual-layer
writer.
Don't know if this helps, but... A friend of mine suggests that you use Win
RAR instead of a tarball and have it split the volume, then you can save it
on a single layer DVD.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the image I wish to back
up is the former contents of a 20 Gbyte reiserfs partition (of which
15 Gbytes were used).  I don't believe that Win RAR will support
reading a Linux reiserfs partition, nor do I expect it will handle
things like symbolic links, device nodes, etc...  But I'll check it
out nonetheless.

--wpd