Re: need FSCK help!

On Mon October 2 2006 10:27 pm, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> According to the output below, you've never run any self-tests
> on the drive.  That brings into question how accurate your
> results are.
>

>> ...........snip...........
> >                                         Auto Offline Data
> > Collection: Enabled.
> > Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous
> > self-test routine completed
> >                                         without error or no
> > self-test has ever
> >                                         been run.
>> ...........snip...........

I saw that and wondered. Bear with me, I'm learning here. I found
the man pages for this daunting - too many things assumed to be
already understood. I guess it's the nature of man pages - they
are there to refresh yourself on options and such, but assume you
know more than I usually do. Anyhow, I found a good howto and ran
a short selftest, which passed without errors.

smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda -d ata
smartctl version 5.36 [i686-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6
Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%
17136

I'm running a long one now, and it says it will take 111 minutes -
so I wait.

Going to write another post on a bunch of Selinux errors I also
just got on a reboot - how can all this be happenning on a nearly
fresh install - this machine was running fine for many months
before the problems I had last week which prompted the reinstall,
so I'm suspicious about the hard drive being in danger,
especially since it's only three months old. It's possible, and
I've seen it, but, not probable.

I'm also getting a weird message about eth0 not being ready and
firestarter not being able to start and then a "Permission denied
fatal errors: your kernel does not support iptables" Then a
moment later, firestarter starts up seemingly normally, and when
the machine comes up, the NIC eth0 is running just fine...

Why is this happenning - OK, I'll stop whining and go eat some
camembert...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA