Re: No Sectors left of 120GB Drive

At 11:02 AM -0400 10/2/06, Tom Diehl wrote:
>Will it let you make another primary partition?? I cannot remember if you
>can have 2 extended partitions or not.

I think one /can/, but it is contrary to specification (which you showed
below), which says there can be only one Extended partition in a Basic
partition table.  There can certainly be both an Extended and an LVM

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, oldman wrote:
>> I am resisting the urge to wipe and re-install as this represents 3
>> linux distros and it would likely take a month to fully recover them!

Make an LVM partition.  Either just start using it for new partitions, or
set up suitable logical volumes on it and copy your existing partitions to
them.  You could then toss the Extended partition and make its space into
LVM and use either as part of the same LVM Volume Group or as a separate VG.

Or, make a backup.  It sounds like you don't have one.  Get a DVD writer
(if you don't have one yet) and some DVD-R disks, and make a dump backup of
each partition.  (I can help with this if needed; I had to split the dump
up into 4.5 GiB "tapes" and dump to a temp file which was then written to
DVD.  Growisofs is recommended over cdrecord.)
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>