Re: smart package mgr question?

On Sun October 1 2006 11:51 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I cannot see ksmarttray in extras.

It's there. I just installed it. Trying to find some documentation
right now. You guys that are experimenting with it, I would
highly suggest you take ten minutes and read the smartpm faq
which is here: http://labix.org/smart/faq
Also, there's a script that's installed by the Livna repo rpm,
which will take care of configuring Livna for Smart if you run
it. See the instrux at the Livna site. That Smart faq will show
you how to configure all your other repos. As I mentioned earlier
in this thread, Smart is a bit more tedious to configure than
yum, especially if you want to create a mirror list, but the faq
explains it all. One nice thing is, since you're inputting the
mirrors by hand, you can choose a smaller selection than the ones
in the mirror lists, and pick sites that are closest to you
geographically. There's also a Fedora Smart configuration
package, which will set up all the Fedora repos for you. The
first time you open Smart, if you've not done so, it will ask you
whether to include your current yum repos, one by one, in its
configuration - make sure you say yes to all those dialogs. It's
far easier to delete them later if you get a felt need, than to
create them fresh. Once you get it all up, make sure you go to
menu item Edit/Channels and make sure only the repos you want to
use are checked!
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA