Re: 'kickstarting' a customised install

On 9/28/06, Tom Brown <tom@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

Pardon the terminology here but is it possible to take an image of a
currently installed system and then building another machine with
exactly the same setup? A bit like dd'ing the install but having it so
that the partitioning would be more dymanic if you built this image onto
a bigger box or something?

I ask as we have base kickstarts that we then have to 'build' into
different types of systems, be it database, app etc so it would be
really great to snapshot a current system and them deploying this out again.

Is that possible or would it be suggested to add all the required
packages etc in the post of the kickstart?

thanks

kickstart being a script for the installer, it's more of an automated
install from Fedora media rather than a deploy an image kind of thing.
Although you can script anything you want.

Perhaps more specific package listing in the %packages section would
help. Like replace with 'rpm -qa --qf "%{name}\n"'   You'd need a
kickstart for every type of deployment then.

John