Re: NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Linux Driver

Vinicius wrote:
Lonni J Friedman escreveu:
On 9/30/06, Christopher A. Williams <chrisw01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 14:06 -0500, Erich Carlson wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 12:00 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
On 9/30/06, Erich Carlson <computerperceptions@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 11:53 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
You're using the nv X driver or the nvidia X driver?
am using the 'nv' driver
You might want to try the nvidia X driver to see if the problem
persists.
I will test that, kinda makes sense, as I don't have a problem if I
boot
into run level 3.
I've been having the exact same problem with my FX5200 for about 3
months now. The difference only is that, for me, the screen freeze is
extremely consistent. I was using the Livna driver packages before.
Since reverting back to the nvidia X driver, I have had no issues with
freezing at all. Of course, I also no longer am able to play some of my
favorite OpenGL games (PP Racer and Foo Billiard, for example) either.

I was about to throw my hands in the air and spend the $$ to get a newer
card, but would rather not, especially if this really is a bug. Now that
someone else is experiencing it too, I'm more confident that it is
software related.
I thought I should intercept this thread and share my experience. I bought a new PC 2 years ago, and I installed SuSe Linux 9.1. (w/ NVDIA) Quite soon after installing I started to experience screen freezes. (which actually is that the keyboard and the mouse are cut off so that I loose control of the PC) I got fed up with this and the support people in SuSe had no clue, they obviously thought I was some nutcase having such problems. There were no serious efforts to try to find out what was wrong. After a while I installed Mandrake, but that did not help. I followed up by installing Mandriva, but that even made things worse. But after installing FC5 I have not experienced any such problems. After FC5 I became convinced that it was a software bug somewhere, not some faulty hardware . I strongly suspected the latter for some time, since I had the same problems with two distros in a row.

PA