Re: network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sort of responding to my own post... Given the above, I found the
following output from yum today to be quite amusing:

Added 63 new packages, deleted 51 old in 28.11 seconds
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for bind-config to pack into transaction set.
bind-config-9.3.2-20.FC5. 100% |=========================| 35 kB 00:00 ---> Package bind-config.i386 30:9.3.2-20.FC5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: bind = 30:9.3.2-20.FC5 for package: bind-config
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: bind = 30:9.3.2-20.FC5 is needed by package bind-config
Thu Sep 28 12:50:31 MDT 2006
[root@spindle ~]# rpm -q bind
bind-9.3.2-33.fc5
[root@spindle ~]# rpm -q bind-config
package bind-config is not installed

Looks like some part of FC5 still thinks bind-config is needed. I have a funny feeling I'll have to figure out why or yum updates will fail on bind-config dependencies until I do.

I went for broke, as I posted earlier in the week, and installed the FC6
bind rpms and the system-setup* rpms and this crate runs smooth. I would
hazard a guess that any one with weirdness going on, on their network,
network printers, file sharing, you name it, might be in those packages.
I notice that it tried to update you from 30:9.3.2-20 and it would have
taken you to 2-35 I think it was. That's where it went to Hell. I'm
using 2.41 from FC6 and it's great. No more strange stuff in hosts,
either. All weirdness gone. Ric

Looks like somebody at Fedora resolved the problem. I just re-ran "yum update" on my FC5 box and got no complaints about bind-config.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce