Re: Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 15:45:25 -0600,
  Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you have the disk space, use wav as it provides a true copy of the original. Next use flac as it is a lossless format and provides a decent way to backup your music without losing any quality. You can rebuild your CD's from the flac files. Mp3's are a lossy format. Ogg is a lossy format.

You really should refer to this codec as Vorbis, not Ogg. Ogg containers
can be used with several audio (vorbis, flac and speex) and video (theora)
codecs. For more information see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
or
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that. I have never seen an option to select a different codec for my ogg files. My iRiver doesn't specify XXX codec when you select ogg nor does it have anything in the manual that would be different.

Now looking at the wiki site, I could encode in flac and wrap it with ogg and it might play in my iRiver. If this is true, I would be happy. Of course, this would mean less songs on my player due to the larger file sizes.

It has been a good day.  I learned something. :)
--
Robin Laing