Re: problems in installing realtek 8139 network card

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 11:37, mnsummer wrote:
> I also can't get this network card working with FC5, but the
> problem isn't hardware.
>
> I have a brand new Toshiba A110-233 laptop and I've partitioned
> the disk so I have Windows XP and FC5. The network card works
> perfectly with Windows, but I cannot get Linux to work with it.
>
> : lsmod
>
> 8139too    25409  0
> mii         5313 1 8139too
>
> : lspci
>
> 04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 4222
> (rev 02)
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Unknown
> device 8136 (rev 01)
>
> Although lspci says "8136" according to XP the device is "Realteck
> RTL8139/810x".
>
> I have used neat to set it up:
> I have one device, eth0 using dhcp.
>
> I tried probing but got "No such device"; so I've put in the MAC
> address that XP reported.
>
> I am using the Apaptor: "RTL8139, SMC EZ Card Fast Ethernet", set to
> device eth0, with IRQ "Unknown" and no other values set.

Do you have the latest kernel?  I ask because I know that another person had a
problem with this card and went through the steps as you did.  Then he
suddenly found that it was being identified differently, as "Realtek
Semiconductor Co., Ltd RTL-8139/8139C+ (dev 21321)" and it has worked since
then.  He is not certain, but thinks that an update may be what changed
things.

Anne