Re: Generating SSL Certificates for Email Clients to get rid of the Self Sign Error on FC3

On 9/25/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 08:32 +0530, ankush grover wrote:
> I am running Postfix 2.1.5 on FC3 with TLS and Dovecot with IMAPsS &
> POP3s  on FC3. Certificates are self sign and everytime any of the
> Email client like Outlook  Express/Microsoft Outllook, Incredimail,
> Thunderbird(MS & Linux) etc connects to the  Mail Sevrer they receive
> warning message "that the certificate is not from the trust source".

This would be because they're not counter-signed by some authoritative
source that they trust.  Anybody could create their own certificates, so
you can't "trust" self-signed certificates, directly.

You'd need to have a trusted third party counter-sign them, one that
your clients already know about (verisign, etc.), or manually trust such
certificates on the clients that are using them (I've no hints on how to
do that).  The first option costs money,

I don't want to go for the first option

and the latter requires that
users know what they're doing (including, having the sense to check that
they're trusting YOUR certificate, and not a forgery).

--

How do I save/import these certificates in email-clients so that this
message does not shows up again ?

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover