Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> [...]

I think we need to know what's meant by "remote".  Another device on the
local network?  Something on a distant network?  Over the internet?

Amadeus W. M.:
>>> On the CUPS server you must make the print queues shared. The clients'
>>> CUPS will automatically see the shared queues on the network.
>>>
>>> On the server, go to System->Administration->Printing, click on the
>>> queue you want to share, then Edit, etc.
>>>
>>> Oh, and you must have port 631 tcp and udp open on the CUPS server.

Aaron Konstam:
>> That is absolutely the wrong way to share printers using CUPS. All
>> printers on the same lan as the server can print to the server's
>> printers by default. No configuration is required.

Amadeus W. M.:
> And exactly why is it absolutely wrong? It works flawlessly on
> my lan. And in fact if I don't make the queues shared on the CUPS
> server, they are not automatically seen by the clients.

I wonder if the situation gets confused if one's printing through CUPS
via Samba?  I found that to be a right disaster.

But ignoring Samba, if you configure a printer with CUPS (using the
webpage) on the machine that the printer is directly connected to, it
acts as a server for the rest of the network, by default.  Automatically
advertising the fact.

When other unconfigured client PCs connect to the network, they're
informed that there's a printer, automatically by CUPS (the server, and
their local CUPS finding it), and they use it, by default,
automatically.

Alternatively, if you configure your print server using the Gnome GUI
tool (don't know about non-Gnome alternatives, I haven't tried them),
you do seem to need to fiddle with more options to get it acting as a
server for your network.  It seems that the default options are more
restrictive.

Once you start manually configuring clients, they tend to stop
automatically finding other printers on your network.  There's something
unreliable, here.  I've systems where I can configure a local printer,
and the network printer is available as a choice.  Sometimes the default
printer choice doesn't stick.  Sometimes only the local printer is
found.

Personally, I got jack of the lot of those half-arsed configuration
tools.  Configuring CUPS by hand editing the configuration files seems
better, you've got your options spelt out for you.  The CUPS webserver
configuration doesn't let you set half the things that you could.  The
Gnome GUI tool seems to make a mess of things for lots of people.

I read messages from the public lists.