Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

On Saturday 23 September 2006 13:29, James Wilkinson wrote:
>Joel Rees wrote:
>> The sales guy at Pasokon Kobo over in Mikage a couple of years back
>> warned me against trying to use both master and slave at the same time,
>> but they admitted to not having much experience with Linux. In the
>> MSWindows universe they were familiar with, there were enough reports
>> of silent corruption they figured it was best to stay with one channel,
>> one drive, particularly when building RAID on ATA controllers.
>
>There *used* to be problems with some controllers, most notoriously the
>CMD640. For more details, see Documentation/cdrom/ide-cd and
>Documentation/ide.txt (from the kernel documentation).
>
>The CMD640 is now obsolete.

I know I'm hijacking a thread here, but I have a box thats running my
milling machine that resembles this particular duck in that it will not
willingly tolerate a drive set as slave on the primary interface,
corrupting both drives at the drop of a very small hat.  This board, a
mach-speed, has this ide controller on it:

0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if
8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

After removal of the slave drive I was trying to dual boot from, that box
is as solid as a rock.  So take this for whatever its worth.  I also
haven't tried it as hdd because the cables won't reach due to the drives
position in the case.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)