Re: LVM -- removing logical volumes from a file system

On 2006/09/23, at 7:46, tokyoi@xxxxxxx wrote:

Dear All,

I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off managing the partitions on my system (fully updated FC5, KDE) myself, rather than wandering through the ethereal

ethereal? That's a separate project. <grin/>

reaches of the LV system. The GUI is a dead loss, not least because it keeps telling me that elements of the system are uninitialized when I am actually using them on a daily basis.

I also find it to be somewhat counter-intuitive.

The command-line LVM programme is more appealing but I am not really sure as to what will happen to my system -- as in the physical bits and bobs -- if I tell lvm to remove a volume. Am I right in thinking that the various commands to remove volumes simply mean that logical volume management is disabled and that the data remains intact, for me to administer it again via fdisk and / etc/fstab?

I don't think so. At least, I don't think LVM builds partitions of the same kind as fdisk, nor do I think they are of the same kind as MSDOS/Windows "extended" logical partitions.

I think the data itself isn't usually erased or changed, but I wouldn't depend on being able to assemble an equivalent partition structure with fdisk, or with any other means I know of.

I have more backups than Soft Mick but would rather leave them as an unused comfort zone. I have looked through the man pages and the like but would appreciate confirmation from those who are more knowledgeable than I.

I would not expect to not use the backups.

I couldn't use LVM in FC3 or 4, but FC5 seems to work better. I don't remember exactly what I did to get around that uninitialized warning, or whether I did. What I did to figure it out was use my second drive (that I now have hanging off a different controller) to experiment with until I got a feel of what LVM does.