Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 02:25 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Umm, unless he wants to make installing his OS into a hobby, I
> recommend almost anything over Fedora.

Actually, I'd say the choice of which distro to use depends a lot on
what the person is going to use it for, and several other
considerations, such as:
* availability of support -- whether you can easily and readily find
someone who can help you install the product and/or resolve any problems
along the way
* level of technology proficiency -- is the person a complete newbie? Or
someone who has assembled computers himself?

There are 2 scenarios for which I would push for Linux in general and
Fedora in particular: if the friend wants an OS for a server, OR if the
friend wants an application development environment.

For programming, nothing beats the price, speed and most of all,
stability, of Linux. No need for anti-virus, anti-spyware and a plethora
of security software slowing down your system, and even if you mess up
your program, you (probably) won't need to reboot or worse, re-install
your OS.

As for server environments, one of the main advantages of UNIX/Linux as
compared to The Other OS is the commandline. If you have ever had to
explain which buttons to press or options to select, to a complete
newbie administrator, you will wish there was a commandline way of doing
things, which you just need to document and pass on the magic
incantation.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur