Re: hard drive recover operation

anthony baldwin wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

anthony baldwin wrote:

Greetings,
tony

As I see it, the drive will still read but gave you some block errors.

Actually, the /boot and swap partitions read, but the entire 74gb partition with
both OS and data is chock full of superblocks and is not reading.
I did try to read the old 80gb from a FC5 install on the 15gb, with no success.

I read (on the page referenced above) that dd_rescue would copy the data without emulating the bad blocks, and that I would then be able, possibly, to read the data again. Hmmm...I think perhaps I will do as you suggest in reference to using the smaller drive for
the OS...
Then again, I was thinking about using it to install and try out Kubuntu, after all this is over.

tony

I would leave the old 15Gig drive as the OS. There are benefits to doing this.

Use the new 200gb as the /home drive.

Get the new install working and then mount the old FC drive and try to copy the old /home data to the new /home drive.

I have done this in the past. If the bad block only causes problems when you read that block, you may be able to recover all but the one block of data.

You can also make an image of the drive and use one of the forensic tools.

As there is a problem with the drive, I wouldn't try to just copy across to the new installation.

Ouch.

With the larger drives it is a real pain if one dies. Try making an image of a 250GB drive to play with.

I played with different recovery programs for a 2gig SD card that got trashed with original photos. It took a lot of time to get the pictures off of but it was only a minor issue.

Search for other forensic software to try. A few that I have tried won't write to the same drive that the image file is on. Part of the "security" features.

http://www.linux-forensics.com/links.html
http://www.sleuthkit.org/

Good luck.

--