Re: [Fwd: Fwd: Getting older]

Ric Moore wrote:
> I did rpm -q --whatprovides helix and nothing
> came up. There ought to be a law.

There is. rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/helix or
rpm --qf $(which helix) should have helped you.

(Not that that command returns anything on my system, but then I erased
HelixPlayer long ago.)

I'm a bit worried about this talk of rm -rf on RPM managed files -- it's
not best practice, since it will mean that RPM thinks files exist that
aren't there in reality. It means that yum will quite happily install
any updated version of HelixPlayer and restore updated versions of those
files.

At the very least, using rpm -qf /path/to/file and *trying* to uninstall
the package concerned will leave you with a consistent system. You may
well find that any dependencies on the package can themselves be lost.

My sigmonster's on the ball again...

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | You can accept the existence of rain without denying the
aprilcottage.co.uk | existence of umbrellas.