FC5 + kde - cannot select screensaver - please help

I have an odd problem. I upgraded 4 machines (1 server, 3 production) from FC3 to FC5. Everything went smoothly, but on 2 of the 4 machines there is one glitch.

For eactltly ONE user on each of these two machines (and it is not the same user), it is not possible to select a screensaver in KDE. Using either the control center directly or by right-clicking on the lock-the-screen icon, the expected control module for the screensaver comes up. HOWEVER, unlike for any other use on the same machine (or any user on the other 2 machines for that matter), the various screen savers are never discovered and offered as choices. One of the two machines is a dual-core athlon x64 4200+ while the other is an athlon 2500+ - all 4 machines have 1GB ram, large disks, and nvidia video subsystems (not the same on any 2), so that is about the extent of the common elements besides the fresh install.

On one of the machines I first tried re-installing the screensaver rpms and then finally ALL of the kde (and qt and ...) rpms to no avail.

This situation would not be so odd, but these were all FRESH installs with no previous user home directories there.

At this point I'm completely stumped. If anyone has a clue as to where I should start looking to find the underlying cause, I'd really appreciate it.

--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."