Re: kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp panic

At 12:36 PM -0400 9/17/06, linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sunday 17 September 2006 11:45, linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
 > This kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp is giving one of my boxes
 > trouble.  The box went into kernel panic and won't boot.  The
 > panic happens with in the first few seconds of boot.  It starts
 > to do the kernel uncompressed but then goes to panic
 > immediately. The box is running on kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp
 > right now because I can't get it to boot to the other.

I forgot to ask a question so here it is.

What can I do to resolve this problem with the kernel panic?

What should I be looking for to find and fix the problem?  I have
not had a kernel panic before and have no idea how to resolve it.

First, you can just punt by editing /boot/grub/grub.conf to use the previous kernel. You can select the kernel (well, grub stanza) to use by pressing a key during the few seconds that grub waits for input, even if the monitor is blank, and then using the up and down arrow keys. Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf after you've booted the old kernel.

You can also edit the grub kernel command line (after getting grub's attention as above) to not have "rhgb quiet" on it. You may see that booting gets farther than you thought before panicking. Possibly it will suggest something; in any case it would be helpful when bugzilla'ing it at Fedora.