Re: kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 boots and monitor goes out of range

------------------------------

Message: 15
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:47:04 -0400
From: linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 boots and monitor goes out of range
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Another box boots on kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 but the monitor goes
out of range so I can't see anything on the screen. This box is
still running the kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 and the monitor works.

I have no idea how to handle this issue.  Is anyone else having
trouble with these new 2187 kernels?  Can I get some help?
I agree that there is something potentially buggy about the 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 kernel.  I installed it via yum on three machines.  Two of them rebooted fine while the third one hung on the uncompressing of the kernel.  All three machines have the same Asus motherboard but have different AMD CPU chips and video cards in them, so I cannot say for sure what's causing it.  However, after reading some of the other complaints on this list
about that kernel and SSH locking up, I removed it from all my systems and fell back to the 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 kernel that I was previously running to prevent any issues.  One of the systems is at a remote location with limited access.  Fortunately, it wasn't the one that hung up on me, but I'd be screwed if it were to hang!

begin:vcard
fn:Dave Lester
n:Lester;Dave
adr:;;26 Haskell Rd;Pepperell;MA;01463;United States
email;internet:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:978-842-4020
tel;cell:978-808-0237
note:http://www.davelester.net