Re: euro symbol on konsole screen

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Saturday 16 September 2006 23:01, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
I'm running Fedora-5, with KDE-3.5.4 .
IIRC, AltGr-e used to produce the euro symbol,
but if so it no longer does so.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully receive.
AltGr-4 does it on my UK setup.
I should have mentioned that AltGr-4 just produces a normal 4 on my screen.

In fact the only unusual characters produced by AltGr-anything
are AltGr-e, which produces a curious looking character
like a circle in a square, and AltGr-c which produces a cent sign.

I looked at the Euro-Char-Support mini-HOWTO
at <www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Euro-Char-Support/index.html>
but found this almost - in fact completely - useless.

It says, for example,
----------------------------------
Check that the file /usr/share/keymaps/include/euro.inc.gz includes lines

altgr keycode  18 = currency
altgr keycode  46 = cent
----------------------------------
whereas I have no directory /usr/share/keymaps/include
or indeed any file including euro.inc in its name.

Its complete reference to KDE reads:
----------------------------------
5.1. KDE

Change the font setting in KControl to ISO-8859-15.
----------------------------------

Assuming that KControl is the same as the Control Centre
I can find nowhere that I could change any font setting to ISO-8859-15.

Surely there must be a short and simple article somewhere
which explains what to do to get the euro symbol in Fedora?
I googled for "Fedora euro symbol" but found nothing useful.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I can't check this out as my Right alt + 4 gives me the € symbol, but someone mentioned going to KDE's control panel > Regional&Accessibility > Keyboard layout, then the "Xkb Options" tab. Maximise it otherwise all the options arn't seen. Someway down the list is a section "3rd level choosers" . It may be worth checking the "Press right Alt key to choose 3rd level" box, and then trying again with "Right Alt + 4, or Right Alt + e.

Nigel.

I use the following to get degree and mu symbols
with the two Windows keys at the lower right of
this keyboard:

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 116=degree'
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 117=mu'

and it seems happy with:

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 117=EuroSign'

but it produces a blank so obviously I don't have that
symbol available.

Bob Goodwin Zuni, Virginia