Re: OT: Inundated with bogus(?) warnings I'm infected

Chris Mohler wrote:
> Ever whacked your "Show Desktop" icon in Win98 or 2000?
>
> IIRC (in win98 pretty sure), the "program" that performs the "Show
> Desktop" action is a small .scr file.  I always believed it to be
> short for "script".
>
> Anyway, the only .scr files I've ever been sent via email were either
> viral or intended to be viral.  Clamav removes them for me these days,
> so I haven't seen that message in a while.
>
> Chris

I am used to seeing them used for screen savers. On Windows 98, take
a look in c:\windows\system - you will find files like
3d flying objects.scr
3d pipes.scr
baseball.scr
blank screen.scr
flying windows.scr
and a bunch more. I don't think they are scripts because they are
Windows executable with the usual "This program cannot be run in DOS
mode." warning.

Mikkel