Re: Red Hat Users Invited To Test RHEL 5

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 9/13/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> William Hooper wrote:

>>> Not really.  RHEL is a completely different distribution with
>>> completely different goals than Fedora.  RHEL discussions have very
>>> little to do with Fedora.
>>>

>> While you're welcome to your opinion, I think a great many people would
>>  disagree with your assertions...

Then they would be wrong.  I don't think it is possible to make "To be on
the leading edge of free and open source technology, by adopting and
helping develop new features and version upgrades." (Fedora) be equal to
"We can identify the security fixes, isolate them from the other changes,
make sure the fixes don't introduce any unwanted side effects, and apply
them to our previous released version." RHEL.

I'm not arguing that one is better than the other for any single task
because each have their place.

> Indeed, especially since RHEL5 = FC6-test2 at the moment.

Oh?

FC6-test2                        RHEL5 Beta
kernel-2.6.17-1.2517.fc6         kernel-2.6.17-1.2519.4.21.el5
libgcc-4.1.1-14                  libgcc-4.1.1-18
glibc-2.4.90-17                  glibc-2.4.90-22

They may be similar, but the second that the RHEL takes a snapshot, things
change.

Discussing RHEL on the Fedora list makes as much sense as discussing
Fedora on a RHEL list.  Or calling Red Hat support and saying "Well, I'm
running Fedora Core 6 Test 2 and it's like RHEL Beta".

--
William Hooper