Re: Disaster now no GUI

Jim Douglas wrote:

You might want to backup your important data and then do a clean install.

You read my mind...backup is done.  I tried installing a fresh copy of FC5.

Now when I reboot after an install my monitor gives me a "Signal out of range" and goes into sleep mode before booting is complete....and it soesn't come back.. any ideas?

I have HP f2105.  They don't support Linux..

Are you using the DVI-D input (White cable if I remember) or the VGA (blue cable) to the monitor. You should be able to set your desired default settings in the Monitor menu. I have a Dell monitor which I use the VGA cable and it works. I did not try the DVI-D input in Linux for this display. At least you have a basic system that you can try to start in runlevel 3 to try to reconfigure the display. You might try to see if the graphical login (rhgb) is causing the problem first. You can hit a key to show the boot menu, highlight your desired kernel, press the a key (for appending information on the boot line.) Once you are on the kernel line, backspace out the rhgb information followed by hitting enter to boot the computer.

Jim

--
"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?"
 -Ronald Reagan