Re: Sendmail 'Too many connections' problem

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 15:34 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I run sendmail-8.13.8 at home to host my domain. Some domains will not
> > accept mail from me because my address is from a dynamic address pool so
> > I solved that problem by placing all of those domains in my mailertable
> > and now route those messages through my ISP(RCN). Recently I have
> > noticed that some of the mail is hanging for a while with 400 series
> > messages saying 'Too many connections'.

How fast do the people in this home type???

>  I checked with RCN and after
> > many wasted hours on hold I found out that I need to limit the maximum
> > number of connections to their SMTP server to 4. Four shall be the
> > counting. Five is too many and six is right out!
> >
> > Can someone please tell me what the incantation is to limit the number of
> > simultaneous connections to a particular server? I'm not looking to
> > limit incoming conncetions. I'm not looking to limit the rate of
> > incoming or outgoing connections. I just want to set the max nr of
> > connections from me to RCN to no more than four.
>
> Looking at the holy README file of Antioch in the sendmail-cf package,
> it appears that setting confHOST_STATUS_DIRECTORY and
> confSINGLE_THREAD_DELIVERY will have the result of limiting outbound
> connections to any one host to 1. Whilst this is not 4, it's likely to
> at least get your mail delivered eventually.

Setting delivery mode to queued and doing frequent queue runs might
be the best option.  Sendmail normally will only open one connection
to a particular destination on queue runs so both ends save time
reusing the cached connection.  And you can control the number of
possible outbound connections delivering queued messages with
confMAX_QUEUE_CHILDREN and confMAX_RUNNERS_PER_QUEUE.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx