Re: Evolution Pain

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 20:14 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Evolution just doesn't seem ready for prime time, at least on x86_64
> boxes like I have. It is by far the most unstable of my Fedora Core 5
> applications -- it quits unexpectedly or stops responding at least once
> an email session, and often several times. The address book is too
> difficult to use -- for instance it won't autocomplete email addresses,
> and often an address you thought you added to the address book is lost
> in the bit bucket. I notice it takes way too long to download email --
> longer than Mozilla Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook or Outlook Express.
----
something seems wrong indeed as I have used Evolution for quite some
time (albeit i386 but that shouldn't make any difference).

I have found that 'junk mail filtering' feature slows everything down to
a crawl and does cause a lot of spamd processes and I don't recommend
it.

Try turning off junk mail filtering, exit Evolution, kill off all spamd
processes and see if it isn't better behaved.
----

> I guess I'll try Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 for a couple of weeks and see if it
> is any improvement. I tried it in the early, pre-1.0 versions and after
> several weeks it arbitrarily munched all my folders, leaving about half
> the contents of each one "invisible". I hope this version is an
> improvement.
----
Thunderbird is solid and Kmail works well too.

Craig