Re: Laptop freezes with FC5

I have a desktop system that has begun to freeze in FC5, with the
video showing.  I suspect overheating may not be the only possible
cause.

We used to use some utilities to manipulate the fan speed, but in the
last two years or so, I've not had to do it explicitly.  The builtin
stuff does it well enough for me.  On a newish Dell laptop, I have the
ACPI system and it works OK with the built in controls.  If you google
for "acpi fan speed linux control" you find lots of people who post
about various ways they try to manipulate speed and heat settings.  Be
cautious because a lot of the advice you see is outdated--the kernel
is rapidly changing in ACPI and many parts seem to work now that did
not work so well just a few months ago.

If you really believe it is heat, you could buy a laptop pad with a
powered fan to cool your system from below.  That makes a big
difference in laptops around here.

In a laptop with acpi support, you can monitor the heat like so:

$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/*

In my system, I see

cooling mode:   critical
state:                   ok
temperature:             40 C
critical (S5):           126 C

If you keep a terminal open and run that over and over, you can see if
the lock follows overheating.

There are some GUIs that can show you the temperature. gkrellm.

I'm looking for documentation on the cooling mode, because I think
that's what you want to fiddle.

Scan down this page

http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt

In there it says you can try to force the cooling_mode to make the fan
go on. You can also set trip points for temperature.

Oh, well. Good luck.