A backupp to install Fedora Core 5 again

I have 3 times installed Fedora Core  (3, 4 and 5) to my computer.  Never has it gone in the way I hoped. Probably I have difficulties with the fine LVM-system. I have read a lot of it and now I suppose I understand it. Last time Fedora Core took all of my Linux-hard disk (160 Gb). Now I wanted to start the fourth attempt, to give Fedora only let's say 40 Gb. Because I am relatively satisfied to my recent installation, I wanted to make a complete backup of my recent installation to DVD's and then  after reinstalling Fedora restore it.

I know the command tar and there is also in Fedora installation File Roller 2.14.0, an archieve manager.  I looked at Bill McCartys book "Learning Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora" (2005), but did not find advice about reasonable backup strategy in my case. Could someone kindly tell me what folders I should include in the tar-file and how to restore them in a relatively simple way.