Re: linux BIOS

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:49:43 +0100,
  Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Better solution for fast boot, try hibernate. On current development kernels, Hibernate is working on this laptop for the first time and it is a very nice improvement.

There are other reasons one might want to use Linuxbios. There can be trust
issues about just what the bios does. I would feel safer having one with
open code rather that I can rebuild if I want to. Eventually there will be
issues with NICs not being trustworthy, but we have a few years before they
are smart enough to be a threat.

For myself, linuxbios compatibility will be a requirement for future
motherboards that I purchase.

I was reading a few sites regarding Linux BIOS. There was mention of the SIS630 chipset being supported for the BIOS. This site in particular.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4888

Excerpt from article:
Various strategies have been developed to address these systems limited by the amount of available ROM. Some of these strategies include Tiara, which appears to be a complete firmware and boot loader for the SiS630 chipset; Etherboot, which has been ported to work under LinuxBIOS; RedBoot, which runs under LinuxBIOS but is not yet useable; and some hacks on LinuxBIOS itself.

I have an SBC of the type below that has the SIS630 chipset. Would this board type be a good candidate to try a Linux BIOS on?

http://www.voxtechnologies.com/SBCs/pcisa-3716e2v.htm

Jim