Re: How to record traffic between Evolution and POP Server

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 22:32 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
> If ATT offers a web-mail interface, you might try that and see what, if
> anything, is in your inbox.  This will allow you to determine whether
> the problem is on the ATT side or your side of the interface.  If their
> web-mail has the same problem, their tech support should be more
> amenable to looking into it and, hopefully, fixing it.  If nothing is
> there, the problem is on your end and Evolution apparently thinks that
> something is there and is attempting to fetch it anyway.  Your "inbox"
> is just a text file so you *may* be able to just delete the invalid
> reference (use vi and do a search on the message ID).
>
> I'd be really surprised if this is a protocol issue and you need to
> sniff packets to debug the problem.  One other approach to try is to use
> another local client such as Thunderbird or Mozilla Mail and see if a
> different local e-mail client has the same problem.

Jonathan Ryshpan writes:
ATT does offer a web-mail interface, which shows that I have no email
pending.  Nevertheless, evolution shows repeatedly that it can't fetch
the message with ID ALwwvs4AAB//RP55HQdLMjcw/zI.  I suspect that you are
right about Evolution trying to fetch a message that isn't there,
because clicking the configuration box "Disable support for all POP3
extensions" in Edit->Preferences->... makes the problem go away.

I would still like to look over the traffic, so I can figure out what's
going on and maybe do something about it.  I vaguely remember some
environment variable that will cause Evolution to log its traffic with
the server, but no-one has been able to remind me what it is ... So it
looks like it's time to break out WireShark.

Thanks - jon