Re: Program Lookup Failure

On 2006-09-08 13:26, Anne Wilson wrote:

>> Look in the file /etc/auto.master.  If there are no uncommented lines,
>> you can disable autofs with impunity.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> There is one uncommented line:
>
> /net	/etc/auto.net
>
> Probably that is what is causing the messages.  However, can you explain to me
> what that line is doing?  Thanks

That tells autofs to use the file /etc/auto.net when you try to access
files under /net.  Normally, auto.net makes the NFS-exported file
systems from other hosts available.  E.g., assuming foo.example.org is a
host that exports / and /usr, then /net/foo.example.org is the / file
system of foo.example.org and /net/foo.example.org/usr is the /usr file
system of foo.example.org.

If you disable autofs, then you won't be able to access those hosts
through /net anymore (although you can still mount them explicitly).  If
you're not doing that anyway, then disabling autofs won't do any harm.

--
Sjoerd Mullender