Re: azureus port forwarding problem -- resolved

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 09:28 -0700, Steven Ellis wrote:
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up Azureus using the Stanton Finley installation notes
> > (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html).  I
> > have 3 linux boxes (192.168.1.11-13) behind a router (192.168.1.1) and a
> > DSL modem (192.168.0.1).  I've followed the instructions for modifying
> > iptables to open TCP ports 6881-6999 and a single UDP port in that range
> > -- I've chosen UDP port 6973.
> >
> > Here's how I've set up port forwarding on the DSL modem and the router:
> >
> > The DSL Actiontec modem has a "Port Forwarding" page on which I've added
> > these two lines to the "List of Forwarded Ports", where 192.168.1.1 is
> > the address of the router:
> > 6881-6999 tcp 192.168.1.1
> > 6973-6973 udp 192.168.1.1
> >
> > The Linksys router has a "Port Range Forwarding" page on which I've
> > added these two entries, where 192.168.1.12 is the address of the Linux
> > box where I want to use Azureus and bittorrent:
> > 6881-6999 tcp 192.168.1.12
> > 6973-6973 udp 192.168.1.12
> >

> I guess I'm confused as to how the router and the DSL modem are
> connected to your network--If the DSL modem is doing NAT for you, and so
> is the router (rather odd, but should work), then you may have things
> set correctly, but then the router is using two interfaces, perhaps
> 192.168.0.X connected to the DSL modem, and 192.168.1.1 connected to the
> linux machines--if so, you probably want to have the DSL modem forward
> to 192.168.0.X (whatever the router's address is on that subnet)--the
> DSL modem likely doesn't know about the 192.168.1.X network.

My network configuration is the "odd" one described above.  I changed
the DSL modem port forwarding IP to 192.168.0.3, the address assigned to
the router by its DHCP.  Now everything works fine.  Thanks for the
help!

> I believe that the recommendation is now to _avoid_ using ports 6881 to 6999.
> I believe that azureus will only use one
> port (for both TCP & UDP), so there is no need to blow big holes in your
> firewall.  Various ISPs are apparently either rate-limiting (most
> likely) or blocking (unlikely??) the old typical bittorrent ports, so
> you may just have better luck if you switch to a different
> higher-numbered port--make your router and any FC5 iptables firewalling
> rules let in the packets for the port that you choose.

port 6973 works fine -- maybe my ISP doesn't see bittorrent as a
problem... yet anyway :}