Re: HP printer accessible from WindowsXP when using FC5 ??

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 15:33 -0400, William Case wrote:
> I tried Samba.  That is what took up most of my day yesterday.

Yea, somehow things got harder to setup in FC5. When I
genned FC5 from scratch, I tried to setup samba
from scratch as well using swat (which had worked
previously fairly easily), but I could never get
any public shares or printers to show up on
my Windows XP box. Eventually I tried substituting
my old FC4 smb.conf file, and everything worked
perfectly. Here's what seems to function for me
to let my LaserJet 6L show up on the Windows
network:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2006/09/04 10:16:43

[global]
	workgroup = WORKGRP
	server string = Samba Server
	security = SHARE
	null passwords = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	dns proxy = No
	ldap ssl = no
	cups options = raw

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[public]
	comment = Public Share on Zooty
	path = /zooty/public
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[backupgrommit]
	comment = Network backup for grommit
	path = /backup/grommit
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

When I add printer on Windows XP, I tell it there is
a LaserJet 6L at the other end, so the "raw" cups
data will show up in the right format.

P.S. This is a local network behind a router with no open ports,
so don't all you crackers out there start salivating
at the prospect of a network to break into :-).