Re: HP printer accessible from WindowsXP when using FC5 ??

William Case wrote:
> I tried Samba.  That is what took up most of my day yesterday.  I didn't
> mention it in my post because I got it so screwed up.  To set it up as
> you suggest, what information do I need, keeping in mind that I do have
> the home network working for Windows.  Normally I would just go to my
> manuals and experiment a bit.  But I got to tell you, at the moment me
> and Linux are rapidly losing household points.  I have only a few more
> times left that I can bounce her off her computer while I 'fix' the
> printer.

Oh dear. Wait until she's out? Ask if you can use her computer to check
something on yours while she's out?

> These are double checking questions.  I am pretty sure I know the
> answers but I don't want to check twice: What is the NetBios name? Or,
> where do I find it in her WindowsXP?
The "computer name" -- you'll need the NetBIOS "workgroup" name, too.
I think Samba will use your hostname as a default -- if you've called it
the same thing (e.g. "william", and not "william-fedora" or
"william-xp"), it should default to the right thing.

Can you see your computer from hers through "My Network Places"? Can you
see global shares? Can you browse home directories?

These seem to be the important settings:
[global]
        workgroup = westexe
        server string = James' computer
        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        printable = yes
[data]
        path = /media/data
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = emily

Check the log files, too (/var/log/samba/*) -- they can be helpful.

> Where would I check what the user
> name and password are?  I was hoping to use anonymous or guest.

Surely you either enter a username and password, or click on a picture
with a name beside it when you boot up XP? That's the username. As for
the password, if she doesn't have one, I *think* XP will remember
passwords -- there may be a checkbox to tick. You may be able to use
smbpasswd to set her a blank password. (Make sure this is well
firewalled!)

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | ...a probably apocryphal bilingual sign in darkest North
aprilcottage.co.uk | Wales. In English it says "70mph" and in Welsh "slow