Re: hostname doesn't stick

Hi,

Anne Wilson schrieb:
On Thursday 07 September 2006 06:41, Thufir wrote:
When installing FC5 I set the hostname to "arrakis.homelinux.com" when it
should've been "arrakis.homelinux.org".

running "system-config-network", and changing the hostname with the GUI,
then running "service network restart", or even rebooting, fails to effect
the result of "hostname".

[thufir@arrakis ~]$
[thufir@arrakis ~]$ hostname
arrakis.homelinux.com
[thufir@arrakis ~]$
[thufir@arrakis ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 arrakis.homelinux.org arrakis localhost.localdomain localhost

Despite the warning, I always make changes here. I split that line into two entries:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.xx	arrakis.homelinux.org arrakis
(adjusting the IP of course to your box's own).

This is what I do, too.
If you don't change that in your hosts file you get inconsistent name resolution: Locally your hostname is resolved to 127.0.0.1, on other hosts the hostname is resolved to your real ip address.

Rainer