Re: What is the language "British"?

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 13:50, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 12:25, Michael P. Brininstool wrote:
>>>dictionary.com sez basically that fuse is the thing you light to blow
>>>something up and the fuze is an electronic version of same.
>>
>> And as a C.E.T. of 34 years, and chasing electrons for a living for 57
>> or so, I have yet to see the hot wire device designed to open a circuit
>> when too much current flows called anything but a fuse, with an 's'.
>> Thats not
>
>Yep.
>
>> saying it couldn't be so spelled in other locales, but here, there's
>> only one way to spell it unless the writer failed spelling.
>
>Then dictionary.com is wrong. A fuze is a device for detonating a
>weapon.

Correct in my rather extended experience.  What liberal arts major is
running dictionary.com?  Obviously one whose hands do NOT fit the tools...

>A fuse is an electrical device. I've been doing electronics
>for 40 years, and *never* have encountered the term "fuze" to mean
>an electronics component.
>
>Furthermore, I looked in a "real" dictionary, and that's what it
>verified.

I didn't bother...  My dictionary is a bit dated, Websters New World
College Edition, original Copyright 1958.  The cover used to be red, but
has faded to whats best called a wilted, dusty rose I think.   Hey, its 24
years newer than I am, so its current enough for the girls I go with... :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)