Re: Got bad sector on HDD in XFS partition, any utility to mark it bad/recover it like seatools does?

On 06/09/06, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Writing to the bad sector will remap it (on modern hard drives, last
5 or 8 years).  Just use dd to write to the affected area or the
whole drive.  After that, the block will no longer be "bad".

Doing a low-level format of the drive will generally cause the drive
to skip over all bad sectors and build a new "spare sectors" area.

Modern drives can be configured to continuously test themselves via
SMART, with the --offlineauto option to smartctl.  SMART can also
tell you if the drive appears healthy.
--

Thanks Tony, that cleared a lot about smarttools also a lot. I always
used to wonder about how smarttools can be used to fix a hdd bad

Thanks again.
Vijay