Re: help interpreting dmesg output

Ian Malone wrote:
> The dmesg output is below.  What I'd like to know is whether this
> looks like a hardware problem, a filesystem problem or simply a
> bug somewhere.  Thanks for your time.
>
> BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00160000
>  printing eip:
> c043f7a0
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops: 0000 [#3]
> last sysfs file: /block/hda/hda1/size
> Modules linked in:
<snip>

Well, that's a kernel error. But:
> ipv6 lp floppy ehci_hcd ohci_hcd nvidia(U) uhci_hcd snd_ice1724
you've got an Nvidia kernel module loaded. So the Fedora kernel
maintainers can't investigate.

My advice would be to run a memtest86 for a while to ensure that it's
not memory, do a fsck on your partitions (from the rescue CD) to ensure
you don't have any problems (although that's unlikely), and then report
it to Nvidia.

If this repeats, try reverting to the X.org nv driver. (You'll have to
make sure that the Nvidia kernel module is never loaded: if it once gets
loaded, the only way to really clear things is to reboot).

You might want to check that you've got the latest version of the Nvidia
kernel module. (This is sounding like "troubleshooting" Windows...)

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | Hooray. "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" is back on, complete
aprilcottage.co.uk | with strip poker. Yes, this is on the radio.