Re: Procedure to replace a NIC.

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 02 September 2006 19:58, Steven Stromer wrote:
Your only responsibility is to verify that your new card is actually
supported under Linux, and specifically by the Fedora kernel.

As long as the new card's drivers are in the Fedora kernel, you're all
set.
This will get the NIC working 9 times out of 10 all right.
Call me the 1 out of 10 guy. I removed the eth0 alias in modprobe.conf,
shut down the first machine, replaced the NIC and rebooted.

dmesg shows:
eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8169s/8110s'.
eth0:RTL8169 at 0xe88e8000, 00:40:f4:ee:2f:ff, IRQ 11

So, I understand the TrendNet TEG-PCITXR Ggigabit PCI card that I've
installed has a RealTek 8169 chipset.

modprobe.conf has a new line:
alias eth0 r8169

This all looks good. Further, the following directories exist:
/sys/module/r8169
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/r8169

I don't know this for fact, but I'd think this all indicates that the
chipset is recognized by the kernel (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5). I am not
certain of how to better confirm this.

Yet, no network connection. So, I edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and update the hardware
address, which is still listed as the old card's address, and then
restart the network.

I can locally ping the card on both its static public address and its
loopback, but cannot reach anything else.

Any ideas? Thanks for all the responses, so far!

Steven, I don't know whether this has any relevance or not, but I recently changed a NIC in a FC4 box, and initially had a problem. It seems that it had detected the card correctly, and was loading the driver, but it had remembered the MAC address of the old card. I had to remove the card's entry in system-config-network, then run kudzu to get the new card read in again. Since then I have had no problem.

Anne

Anne,

I don't run a GUI. I believe that system-config-network changes the settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, which I did manually. You are right that the hardware address did need manual altering. I rebooted, which is what I think you mean by running kudzu. Is there a way to invoke kudzu manually?

Thanks!