Re: remove partaion

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 12:44 +0530, yogesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
/dev/hda2             7.7G  5.0G  2.4G  68% /
/dev/hda5              15G  331M   14G   3% /backup
/dev/hda1             388M   13M  355M   4% /boot
/dev/hda6              14G   11G  2.3G  83% /data
none                  121M     0  121M   0% /dev/shm

hi to all
 i have a partation type as discueed above
i want to delete/remove

/dev/hda5              15G  331M   14G   3% /backup
 this partation and want to install windows 2000 on that partation
so can u give me help how can i remove the partation so it wiill not effct
the linux and it run as it is

tahnks

Why do you neeed to remove it. You could just not mount in Linux and
just let the Windows 2000 reformat it.

THe real problem is that it is not the first partition on the disk.
Windows likes to be in the first partition on the disk.

Windows doesn't care about being the first partition (witness all those diagnostic and recovery partitions that ship with machines these days).

Windows does need to boot from a primary partition, not a logical partition in the extended partition. (AFAIK, Linux does also.) My dual-boot machines have partitions

/dev/hda1 Diagnostics
/dev/hda2 Windows C:
/dev/hda3 Linux /boot (I put GRUB here and make it bootable).
/dev/hda4 Extended
/dev/hda5, etc. Other Windows and linux filesystems.

/etc/fstab isn't all that helpful, except to show that the partition you want isn't critical. What we really need to see in order to help you is the output of fdisk -l /dev/hda.

Using partition magic to move all the partitions over may or may  not
work.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences