Re: FC5 ACPI modules - how to add missing modules

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Laurence Vanek wrote:
>> I have directories titled "fan" & "thermal_zone" but they are empty.  I
>> assumed it was because I dont seem to have a thermal.ko & fan.ko to
>> load.  lsmod does show "button" & "battery" acpi modules loaded.  wonder
>> what the deal is?
>>
> If you have the directory, but it is empty, then the module is
> loaded, but it did not find any hardware it could monitor. The way I
> understand it, if the BIOS ACPI code does not define how to access
> the hardware, then loading the module does nothing. This is why you
> have the asus_acpi, ibm_acpi, toshiba_acpi, and omnibook modules.
> They provide another way to access the hardware, if your machine is
> supported. The acpitool program knows how to access the settings of
> the first 3 of those modules, and give you the information.
>
> You can double check if you have the modules by running "modprobe
> fan" or "modprobe thermal" as root. If it finds the modules, it will
> return without an error message, but if you do not have them, it
> will tell you that the module was not found.
>
> Mikkel
I already have tried loading those 2 modules using modprobe.  I get
"FATAL: Module thermal not found" for both of them.

Recently updated my bios so Im fairly sure thats not the problem.  I can
see hardware monitoring info in bios setup but dont have the thermal or
fan modules to look at them using acpitools.

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone running FC5 has these 2 modules
loaded & working.