Re: The silly mess with Firefox 1.5.0.4's Flash plugin

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 16:33, Heikki Pesonen wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You'll probably find that you need to create links from Firefox to the
> > Flash-plugin.
> >
> > ln
> > -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> > /usr/local/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
> >
> > ln
> > -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt
> > /usr/local/firefox/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
> >
> > You'll probably have to change the Firefox path on the link, as mine on
> > FC2 is
> > in /usr/local.
>
> I tryed the following:
>
> [fossiili@localhost plugins]$ ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
> ln: creating symbolic link
> `/home/fossiili/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so' to
> `/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so': Fil e exists
> [fossiili@localhost plugins]$ ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt
> ~/.mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
> ln: creating symbolic link
> `/home/fossiili/.mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt' to
> `/usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt': File exists
> [fossiili@localhost plugins]$
>
> Then I closed Firefox and started it again.  In spite of your kind help. no
> Flash plugin working ...

Ok. I've just fired up FC5 to check what I told you. if Firefox is installed
you should have a directory in /usr/lib for Firefox. Mine has several
versions, 1.5.0.4 being one of them. You need to create the softlinks from
this directory to the flash-plugin directory, which is also in /usr/lib, as
root.  Leave the .mozilla directory in /home/user out of the equation.

So, after su'ing to root, type.

ln
-s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

ln
-s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplayer.xpt

I'm sorry about  the "ln" being misplaced. Something to do with Kmails
composer.

As someone else has said, there are problems with some websites that are
insisting on Flashplayer 9 (the Windows version), and perhaps it's about time
that Macromedia got their act together.

This site works ok with Flashplayer 7
http://laracameron.com

Nigel.