Re: What is the language "British"?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Mike Wright wrote:

(Sorry, I was overzealous in cleaning my maildir and can't find the
beginning of this thread) but I seem to remember that the OP objected to
the use of "British" as opposed to "English".

Granted, this is from an American dictionary but it does show that
"British" is an acceptable American usage.

From Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary:

Briticism, n. ...peculiar to British English.
British, n.
  1. British English
  2. the language of the ancient Britons

As the OP, my objection was to the use of the word "British"
as a synonym for "English", in the FC-5 installation.

It wasn't used in either of the above senses,
since there was no other version of English on offer.

Wasn't aware that that was the only English offered.

I think it is just wrong, and should be replaced by "English".

Good call.  I concur with you completely.

:m)

A German colleague tells me I am right,
and as we all know Germans know far more about English
than native English speakers do.