Re: Ethernet Card not detected

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:55:01PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> fredex wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 11:20:38AM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >>>
> >> What version of the Etherlink III card do you have? If it is an ISA
> >> card, chances are it will not be detected automatically. If it is a
> >> PCI card, it should show up with lspci.
> >
> > Yeah, I've been bitten by that too. I've had to swap out a pile of
> > perfectly good 3com 3c509b-tpo cards simply because the driver for it is
> > no longer built in modern distributions' kernels.
> >
> Yes, with most modern systems hot having ISA slots, support for ISA
> cards is dieing. Then again, even if the card is supported, you do
> need to know the i/o port and IRQ it is configured for. Or if it is
> a P & P card, you have to install the ISA P & P tools.
>
> On the other hand, it looks like the 3c509 driver is still in the
> source tree, so it may be a matter of building your own kernel if
> you want to use the cards. (I have not looked to see if it is
> included in the stock kernels.)

Yes, could have done that. but then I'd probably have to do it again
for every kenel update that comes down from RH and it just wasn't
worth the trouble. Cheap cards using a Realtek 8139 chipset are ten or
fifteen dollars and work fine.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He