Re: Enabling "localhost" for Applications?

Pyth7 wrote:
> Am new to Fedora 5 and linux in general.
> Is there something -a service(?)- I need to
> to start to enable applications to connect on
> localhost?
> I am trying to run an application (FreeWRL)
> that uses a tcp socket connection in a server/client
> relationship using "localhost" port 9877.
> The client part can't connect and times out
> ,though the server part seems to run fine
> per se.

Can you post /etc/hosts and confirm that it begins like this:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

Can you run
ping localhost
(from a terminal session), leave it for five seconds, press Ctrl-C

Thanks,
James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | You shouldn't worry, insanity of the right kind is really
aprilcottage.co.uk | rather pleasant, as my good friend Colin the llama would