Re: What is the language "British"?

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 14:30, Alan M. Evans wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 10:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I was fortunate in that my grammer school education took place in the
>> State of Iowa, where, back in the 40's, we were extremely proud of
>> being the most literate state in the union with a 99.9% literacy rate.
>> No educational system is doing its students any life favors when the
>> high school graduating class is composed of 20+% functionally
>> illiterate students, but they graduate anyway because of the un-funded
>> no child left behind act.
>
>To be fair, graduating underperforming students has been a problem for
>much longer than we've had No Child Left Behind.
>
>And 99.9% seems an awfully high literacy rate for any sample the size of
>a state, even one that's proud of it. Perhaps Iowa residents, despite
>excellent language comprehension, weren't so good at statistics?

I lived there for my first 25 years, and never met anyone except an old
recent emmigrant german farmer that signed his checks with an x mark but
wrote the check in german.  The checks were always good, but his speech
was littered with germanisms...  He died before I got wanderlust.  And we
were pretty good at statistics thank you.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)