Re: FC5 - mozilla help needed

Thad Nielsen writes:
: Dean S. Messing [deanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
: >
: > I'm unable to get Adobe `acroread' to run within Mozilla.
: > Would someone who knows give me some pointers please?
: >
: > I'm running an up-to-date FC5 system.  Selinux is disabled.  Both
: > `acroread' and `mozilla-acroread' are installed (from the Dries
: > repository).  And I've verified that acroread works from the
: > commandline.
: >
: > Yet when I try to view a .pdf from w/in mozilla, I get nothing.  On a
: > large .pdf, I can see mozilla taking time to read the file in, but
: > then I just get a blank mozilla window.  acroread is not being started
: > at all.
: >
: > How do I begin to debug this?
: >
: > Thanks
: > Dean
: >
:
: Dean, I also run an uptodate FC5 with selinux disabled.  I am running
: mozilla 1.7.13-1.1.fc5 and AdobeReader_enu 7.05.-1 from Adobe itself.
: I have no trouble opening PDF files from within mozilla.  Sorry that I
: know nothing of the Dries repository.  You might examine your
: /var/log/messages file for any helpful error messages.  You might try
: Xpdf on the same PDF files that give you trouble in Adobe Reader.  You
: might replace your Adobe Reader with the one at adobe.com.  Hope some
: of this is helpful to you.
:

Thanks very much for the response Thad.
>From this:

# rpm -q mozilla
mozilla-1.7.13-1.1.fc5
# rpm -q acroread
acroread-7.0.5-2.2.fc5.rf

I am running the same version of mozilla as you.
I think this is the same acroread as well but if needed
I'll de-install it and go tothe one from Adobe.

However, acroread itself is working fine.  I have invoked it
on several .pdf files from the commandline, including ones I downloaded
from the Web that mozilla/acroread would not show.

Question: Do you also have "mozilla-acroread" installed?

It provides "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so" so if you don't
then there is a major difference between you and me.

Also: does your acroread run within the mozilla windeow itself
or does acroread start up "on the side" in its own window.

Thanks for you help!

Dean