Re: What is the language "British"?

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 09:20, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> Hm, tried the English (Denmark) version and there is absolutely no
>> Danish in that and it merely looks like another American English
>> variant.
>
>I looked at English (Irish) some time ago,
>and couldn't find any difference from English (UK).
>
>The two differences that are sometimes quoted are
>"rere" (for the back of a building)
>and "seperate" for "separate".
>I've always assumed that the latter stems from some Dan Quayle-like
> teacher refusing to admit he (or more likely she) was wrong.
>
>But English (Irish) did not actually have either of these.
>
>A lot of these English variants strike me as rather mythical.
>I guess if you can't think of a topic for a thesis
>and live on the moon it is quite handy.
>
>(Reminds me - I was taught 60 years ago
>never to write "lot", "got" or "nice",
>but that is a hard diet to follow.)

I don't recall that being proscribed by my teachers, but OTOH, it wasn't
encouraged either when I was in grammer school in the 40's, which BTW is
as far as I got in formal schooling, I was too busy fixing these
new-fangled things called tv's.  I've made a comfortable living lassoing
electrons and makeing them do usefull or entertaining work since. :-)

But I use 'nice' where its appropriate without any guilt, its a complement
IMO.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)